When you think of the word marketing, most people automatically associate the term with a business, product or service. In this article however it will be associated with the Military Spouse Virtual Business Owner.
Picture this, a new virtual business owner by the name of Zipgirl is attending a business network gathering, a local well known business owner walks up to her and says Hi there, my name is ABC and I represent XYZ corporation Zipgirl responds, pleased to meet you, my name is Zipgirl and I work from home. ABC smiles, nods his head, and simply walks away.
Would you have done the same as ABC? Did Zipgirl say enough to maintain the interest of ABC? What could she have done differently? How would you have responded if you were ABC?
To often when we are asked who we are and what we do, we short change ourselves by not marketing the BEST in ourselves. How can you market yourself better? Below are some questions that will help you to identify your marketing strengths as well as your challenges:
- Can you describe your personality in just five words?
- Are you totally committed as well as passionate about what you do?
- Are you always optimistic about what you do in spite of the challenges you face?
- Are you happy doing what you do?
- What’s unique about your service or product?
- What type of energy do you release when you talk about what you do? Do you leave people fascinated and wanting to know more or bored and uninterested?
- When out promoting your business, what does your outward appearance say about you? Do you walk with your head down? Do stay cooped in the corner of the room or are you out in the crowd taking charge, meeting people with a smile, standing tall and bringing out the best in those you meet?
Here are some tips on how to market the best in you:
- Always present a pleasant smile, whether on the telephone, in person, in email or even in a fax (SMILE)
- Do what you love (you’ll be more fulfilled)
- Don’t try to be the jack-of-all-trades (you do everything and anything) rather, specialize (promote the one thing or area you do best)
- Be unique (original)
- Always be professional
- Allways be yourself
- Always express a sense of passion in what it is you do
- Always explore ways to enhance yourself (personally, professionally, and or spiritually)
Marketing the best in oneself is not just about selling or promoting products or services. Its about sharing with others the value, attention-to-detail, trust, and integrity you bring to their company or project. People are inundated with sales calls and pitches all day, every day.
The next you’re out and about networking with key decision makers and the opportunity to share who are you and what you do presents itself, remember to market the best in you…
About the Writer:
Victoria Parham is a retired Army spouse, veteran, talk radio host, Trainer, and Career Strategist propelling people to reach their greatest career potential.
Check her online at victoriaparham.com